Brandenburg Cathedral

Brandenburg Cathedral is situated on an island between the lake Beetzsee and the River Havel. The architectural ensemble consisting of the Cathedral, the conclave, the Curia and adjoining buildings continues to characterise the so-called Cathedral Island, the oldest part of the painstakingly restored city of Brandenburg. It was here that King Otto I founded the Diocese of Brandenburg in the year 948. Construction of today’s cathedral began in the mid- 12th century. Around the middle of the 15th century its Gothic reconstruction was complete. The origins of the precious artwork range from the Middle Ages to the 20th century.

The Cathedral’s History

Foundation charter for the Diocese Brandenburg Magdeburg from 1 October 948

948

In the year 948 King Otto I founded the diocese for the Slavic mission. The attempted mission failed in the year 983. 

Foundation charter for the Cathedral Chapter Brandenburg Magdeburg between March and May 1161

1161

The foundation of the Cathedral Chapter marks the reinstitution of the diocese. Four years later the cathedral is erected.  

Sepulchral stele, middle of the 12th century, Bernburg sandstone

Mid-12th Century

The stele was discovered in the Petri Chapel and is considered to be one of the earliest items documenting Christianity in Brandenburg.  

Gravestone of Peter von Thure, † 1282

1282

The oldest gravestone today stands in the northern transept. The halo indicates the significance of the deceased.

Twelve-year-old Jesus preaching in the temple, Lenten veil, around 1290  

1290

The Brandenburg Lenten veil is the pride of the Cathedral Museum. On a surface of nine square metres it tells the life story of Christ.  

Bohemian altar around 1380 from the life of Petri

1380

The Bohemian altar originates from the time in which Bohemian King Karl IV became Margrave of Brandenburg.  

Altar of the Holy Cross, panel painting, late 15th century

Late 15th century

The altar shows a crucifixion group in the middle and the two cathedral patrons on the wings.

Epitaph for Adam von Königsmarck, † 1632. Marble and alabaster 

1632

The epitaph from the workshop of Magdeburg artist Christoph Dehne is a masterpiece of Mannerism.

View and floorplan of the cathedral, around 1705

1705

The image was taken from the Knight Academy’s armorial. The Knight Academy was a school founded in 1705 at the Cathedral. 

The Cathedral organ was created by the organ builder Joachim Wagner

1725

The organ was intoned in 1725. It is one of the few organs by Wagner to have been preserved in its original state.

Stained-glass rose window in the Cathedral’s western portal, first half of the 19th century  

19. Jh.

The rose window can be traced back to a design by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, who restored the Cathedral between 1833 and 1836.

Paul von Hindenburg as Cathedral Dean, around 1925

1925

In 1920 Paul von Hindenburg became Cathedral Dean. When he later became President of the German Reich he kept the post but allowed someone to act in his place.

View of the nave, 1947

1947

On the right-hand side the boarded up pulpit can be seen. The anti-aircraft defence systems enabled the cathedral to remain virtually undamaged throughout the war.

Reinforced pulpit pillar in the nave of the cathedral, 1963  

1963

To mark the occasion of the 800th anniversary of the laying of the foundations, the structure of the arcade pillars was reinforced.

Procession from the Cathedral to the newly opened Cathedral Grammar School

2006

In 2006 the Cathedral Grammar School was opened. The nursery school, primary school and grammar school altogether house around 800 children.  

Northern wing in 2009, following refurbishment

2009

The refurbishment of the northern enclosure was completed in 2009. During the work, Gothic paintings were uncovered on the upper floor. 

Doorway to the building site

2013

The refurbishment and maintenance of the building’s fabric and its artworks count among the most crucial undertakings of the Cathedral Foundation. 

Impressions – a virtual tour

Times & Prices

Winter opening times (8.11.2013 bis 28.2.2014):

Monday– Saturday
11am – 4pm
Sunday 11.30am (after church service) – 4pm

Regular Events:

Do 6pm - Vesper mit Abendmahl in der Krypta
Mo - Fr 12am - Mittagsgebet
So 10:30am - Gottesdienst

May - September
Sundays, after church service,
Orgelführung auf der Empore


Admission

Eintritt für Dommuseum mit Jubiläumsausstellung und Dom (Domerhaltungsbeitrag) - Stand 1. Januar 2015 -

Regulär
€ 5

Buga-Karteninhaber
€ 3

Ermäßigt 
€ 3

• Senioren (ab 65 Jahre oder mit Rentnerausweis)
• Schwerbehinderte (eingetragene Begleitperson frei)
• Besucher mit Eintrittskarten des
- Museums im Zisterzienserkloster Lehnin,
- Museums für brandenburgische Kirchen- und Kulturgeschichte des
  Mittelalters Ziesar,
- Archäologischen Landesmuseums Brandenburg an der Havel,
- Stadtmuseums Brandenburg an der Havel
- Industriemuseums Brandenburg an der Havel

Frei
• Kinder (bis 15 Jahre), Schüler, Auszubildende und Studierende
• Teilnehmer am freiwilligen sozialen oder ökologischen Jahr
• Teilnehmer am Bundesfreiwilligendienst
• Bezieher ALG II
• Inhaber einer Domkarte
• Mitglieder des Fördervereins Dom zu Brandenburg
• Mitglieder beim Internationalen Museumsrat ICOM

Gruppen (ab 10 Pers.)
€ 4/Person

Jahreskarten
€ 15, erm. € 10

Führungen
• Thematische Sonderführungen                                                   
€ 6, erm. € 4

• Gruppenführungen (10 bis 30 Pers.)                                           
€ 30 zzgl. Eintritt

• Einzelführungen, Führung durch Dritte
nach Vereinbarung

• Orgelführungen mind. 10 max. 20 Pers.                                     
€ 3 zzgl.

Eintritt Konzerte
• Sommermusiken
frei, um eine Spende wird gebeten

• Sonderkonzerte
je nach Konzert

• „Orgel Punkt 4“
Regeleintritt

• private Orgelkonzerte
€ 100

Brandenburger Kirchenkatze
frei, um eine Spende wird gebeten

****

Der Eintritt berechtigt zum Besuch des Dommuseums mit der Jubiläumsausstellung „Beständig neu – 850 Jahre Dom zu Brandenburg“ sowie des Doms. Der Dom wurde in den vergangenen Jahren sehr aufwendig restauriert. Das Domstift ist auf den Domerhaltungsbeitrag angewiesen, um den Dom in diesem guten Zustand zu bewahren und der allgemeinen Öffentlichkeit zugänglich zu halten.